Peaks to Portland Swim Volunteers
Join us on July 25, 2020
Register Now! Donate To This Event
Volunteers are needed for the following positions:
- Body Marker (5:30-11:00am): Take the 5:45am ferry to Peaks Island. Write the participant number on each athlete’s shoulder or hand after they receive their timing chip. This role involves being focused, able to write legibly, standing for an hour at a time, and being respectful and positive around others.
- Timing Chip Aid (5:30-11:00am): Take the 5:45am ferry to Peaks Island. Assist the timing company by handing out timing chips to swimmers, helping them put chips on swimmer ankles, and assist the timing chip company in packing up and carrying equipment to the boat. This role involved being focused, able to stand and bend for an hour at a time, and being respectful and positive around others.
- Beach Greeter (5:30-11:00am): Take the 5:45am ferry to Peaks Island. Greet all athletes as they come onto the beach and direct each swimmer, their kayaker, and the ones lifting the kayaks to the right place. This role involves being welcoming, talking in a loud voice, and be able to direct people to the right location.
- Peaks Island Floater (5:30-11:00am): Take the 5:45am ferry to Peaks Island. A floater is an additional volunteer who will be available to help with any task needed on Peaks Island on the day of the event. This could involve filling in for any of the roles on Peaks Island, helping to clear the beach in the morning, and helping to carry swimmer bags to boats, and clean up the beach before heading back to the mainland.
- Volunteer Kayaker: (5:30-11:00am): Volunteer kayakers are either assigned to a swimmer who is in need of a kayaker or they will assist in monitoring the course. Volunteer kayakers will provide their own kayak, have a whistle for safety, and carry two type III personal floating devices (life jackets) for boater & swimmer.
- Photographer (6:00am-1:00pm): Take the 6:45am ferry to Peaks Island. Must provide own camera and give the YMCA of Southern Maine the right to your photos. Photographers will be asked to take photo of:
- Kayaks and swimmers lined up at the ferry terminal
- Swimmers on the ferry going to Peaks Island and kayakers paddling to the Island
- Swimmers and kayakers prepping for the swim on the island
- Swimmers starting the swim
- Swimmers swimming the event from the media boat